Sunday, November 27, 2011

Less Wikipedia For Me

After investigating just how inaccurate and unreliable Wikipedia can be at times, I am definitely less likely to rely on it as any type of source of information. I will only use it to see how accurate it is on some subjects I am well educated in. I didn't use Wikipedia that often before I investigated it, so now I will only use it as a means to look at the accuracy of the information it has. I most likely won't join the discussion myself, unless some facts on the subject pages that are just completely inaccurate. There are too many people just like me trying to lead the discussions on Wikipedia when there are far more experienced people that could better lead the discussions. I am hoping one day that Wikipedia does change to an encyclopedia that is considered scholarly, and can be considered a reliable source that everyone in the world has access to.

2 comments:

  1. In my research, I have found that studies show that Wikipedia articles are almost as accurate as traditional sources such as Encyclopedia Britannica but they just suffer from significant omissions. I do not think Wikipedia is as bad as it may seem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the dilemmas we reach with digital media is that when it comes to quick and easy access to information, there is not really any other option. If someone is really conducting research, they will take the time to look at academic sources and compare what they find. But if you are just looking for some quick information, I for one would rather trust Wikipedia than some random website that was linked to me from Google. I feel like no other site really matches Wikipedia as far as ease of access and sheer amount of information.

    ReplyDelete